Dec 21, 2021
In today’s episode of Aligned, Sean is pulling a fan-favorite
episode from the archives: his conversation with Luke Allen about
how to attract, develop and retain talent. Luke
Allen is the CEO of OHD, an international company specializing in
inside sales, outside sales, and sales reps.
The proactive attraction of talent is key.
- What if you lose someone who is a key player on your team right
now? How do you replace that person without it impacting your
- Particularly for sales teams where each member has deep
expertise in a topic, just one person’s departure can result in a
point of failure.
- Assess your team to determine the different roles and then
proactively build a network of other key people who fit your
culture and expectations.
- Begin the work of finding great people, even if you don’t have
openings at that time.
Don’t wait until you’re hiring to begin the
- Stay in touch with people you interviewed but couldn’t hire.
Develop relationships with them because they can become valuable
assets later down the line.
- By developing relationships with star performers, even if they
don’t work at your company, you’re setting a precedent and company
culture that respects and fosters good talent.
- Identify the financial, personal, and strategic pains people
have, and use those in your hiring. Focusing solely on financial
pain is a mistake.
- People want to know before they sign on how you’ll develop them
and further their career aspirations, so communicate that
- If your people don’t talk to you about their lives, that’s a
blind spot you can’t protect your business from.
By anticipating changes in staffing, you can avoid additional
costs, consultancies, and downtime due to vacant positions. While
this process will never be perfect, limiting last-minute scenarios
is an excellent practice for any company to adopt.
“Proactively Seek Great Talent” episode
- Aligned is a
podcast for executives of emerging middle-market companies and
executives pursuing growth and looking for new levers to
- To connect with Sean Doyle, find him on LinkedIn, or learn
more about FitzMartin on the company web
- You can connect with Luke
Allen on LinkedIn.