Mar 29, 2022
Outsourcing and hiring new talent is a natural outgrowth of
scaling a business. But how can a small or mid-sized company do
this process effectively while retaining a full-funnel? In today’s
episode of Aligned, Sean is joined by the founder of Sales Schema,
Dan Englander, to hear his thoughts on the issue.
There is a proper time to hire:
- With the caveat that his domain space is marketing and
advertising, the first order of operations is getting client work
off your plate.
- From there, establish a process for teeing up prospecting
- When accommodating people on your team with defined roles, once
a process is in place for getting prospects, invest money in a
- The skillset required to get a skeptical person to talk to you
is numerous: creativity, strategy, systems and operations thinking
(and a good amount of hustle and follow-up.)
- Dan’s philosophy is that it takes more than one person to make
the process work.
Identifying your value:
- To lower risks in hiring, figure out where your value
- Oftentimes an agency has never had to figure that out because
they rely solely on the strength of referral. So how do you
identify value? Through positioning and experience.
- Companies frequently outsource something for the partnership to
end up failing. Why? Because that company is doing the same
repeated action done by different companies.
- While that still works if you’re selling something new, it
won’t work forever.
Use the trust and relationships you’ve built to
- Realize when you hire a salesperson, you are now a part-time
sales trainer. You can’t just give collateral and expect them to
- Dunbar’s Number is the psychological research that discusses
someone’s circle of influence informs our outreach.
- There’s a difference between asking for an introduction and
manipulating people into giving referrals.
Mapping connections and doing it at scale is what leads
- Clients typically do this anyway, but it’s just done somewhat
- What if you can figure out the people you already know in
- All sales and marketing is about change. Social liberation
elevates and allows someone unaware of a need for change to
- Breakthrough Advertising from the 60s is a hard-to-find book,
but it addresses the stages of marketing sophistication.
For more great content from Dan, visit salesschema.com, check out his
Digital Agency Growth Podcast), or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FItzMartin’s Sales and Marketing Alignment:
Why does proper sales and marketing alignment result in a 32%
average lift in revenue? Because a unified company centered around
its prospects can’t help but thrive.
FitzMartin’s Sales and Marketing Alignment program will analyze
your current sales and marketing structure to deliver a plan based
on the needs of your prospects, bringing you increased revenue,
expansion opportunities, and (above all) a unified front when
communicating with prospects.
To set your company up for success, visit fitzmartin.com/solutions
to discover how to unify your sales and marketing for the best
FitzMartin’s Innovation and Insights
The FitzMartin approach to research is simple: start with data.
We use statistical analysis and data visualization to clarify the
haze around customer sentiment, behavior, and lifetime value
metrics. Our most recent study helped a financial institution
understand a group of new customers, identify their ideal customers
and craft a plan to acquire more ideal customers.
to download a free Sales Barrier Analysis Worksheet to find the
gaps and barriers in your organization and read for yourself about
the values a partnership with FitzMartin can deliver to you.