Nov 2, 2021
We know It goes against the
typical belief. So how does structure liberate creativity? For any
group of people, whether an acting troupe, a film set, or a
marketing department, operating within a framework is the key to
creating content that best reaches your set goals. And on today’s
episode of Aligned, Sean is joined by actor, writer, producer,
coach, and speaker Michael Allosso to discuss why
structure doesn’t limit creativity; it liberates
It’s one of the most overused phrases in the English
language: think outside the box.
- You need the box, and you need a direction.
Otherwise, how will you know when you’ve accomplished your
- In 2009, Michael worked on the Pink Panther 2
movie with actor and producer Steve Martin. While Michael was in
just three scenes throughout the film, he had to endure five
callbacks for the role.
- In auditions, the best directors are the ones
who provide a structure to act within. The bad ones don’t.
Boundaries serve as guidelines to give people a space to operate
There are many different types of
- Whether it’s a physical, mental, or another
type of boundary like time, boundaries motivate you to be excellent
and find unexpected solutions to problems.
- We as leaders forget to ask the most crucial
question: what is the objective?
- People in teams might have different
objectives, especially across departments.
- Communicating what needs to be done is a
structure necessary for creating what best supports objectives,
especially when multiple objectives are in place.
Do not have a meeting if you don’t have an
- If you don’t know the objective, how can you
properly prepare for a meeting or presentation? Your thinking
should’ve come before you came into the room.
- If you want better answers in those meetings,
give boundaries to your marketing department. It won’t constrain
the results you get; it expands them.
- Solving problems doesn’t happen in a given
moment; it happens organically.
- Aligned is a podcast for executives of emerging
middle-market companies and executives pursuing growth or looking
for new levers to pull.
- Read more about
cognitive marketing on
- Order Sean’s book
Shift for practical, business-driven ideas for
- To connect with Sean Doyle, find him on
LinkedIn, or learn more about FitzMartin on the
company web page.
To get in contact with Michael,
connect with his website michaelallosso.com. His website details 35 secret weapons that
make for a great communicator. He might be bad at doing the dishes,
but his website has excellent content. (And we’ll count that as a