Oct 19, 2021
In the conclusion of Sean’s series with Blue Ridge’s CMO, Ed
Rusch, Ed and Sean discuss the importance of incrementalism. In a
field filled with explosive growth, particularly one burgeoning
with new technology, tactics, and strategies, finding a route to
sustainable but progresive growth is
Consider how customers buy technology
- The days of multi-million dollar tech implementations and
installations are quickly dying.
- When you look at how people buy software and services today,
buying capabilities are specific to what the company needs: rapid
deployment. This is indicative of a broader mindset; people want to
experience value over time.
- The number of marketing technology platforms is growing fast,
with nearly 10,000 platforms offered to help with different
services. How do you break that down?
- You throw away the technology component and focus on the
When is it okay to apply incrementalism versus just
getting it done?
- You pivot internally for your clients to determine what
strategies and platforms would be most effective. So, why wouldn’t
you do that for yourself?
- Think along those lines, drive meaningful value, and address
acute pains within your organization. (For more information about
addressing acute pains, check out the
- Select the right technology solution for where you’re at in
this moment. Don’t go from 0% to 100% overnight. Instead,
pick the solution knowing that it might not be the right solution
for you two or three years later.
- If your success relies on a heavy adoption that needs high
degrees of support, you might find yourself asking the same
questions you started with (which you definitely don’t want.) Make
sure the platfrom is something your company is able to implement
Fear in the modern marketplace.
- Whether it’s a recession, a pandemic, or any other factor,
there is invariably something injecting fear into the marketplace.
(That’s just the way life works.)
- Whatever your role is in your company, do it with confidence
and be a genuine business partner for the functions of your
- Learn and understand how to hold a conversation that even the
finance level, board level, or private equity world would
- If you’re a marketer and are unsure how to do that, just ask!
People will respect you for asking and learning more about what
other people do.
Ed’s final takeaways:
- COVID forced people to overlook the depth of conversation that
would’ve typically occurred. Leading a company and being unafraid
to ask questions will help your company move forward.
- Have the clarity, passion, and power to impact your
organization, and you’ll find success.
- Demand more from your marketing. And to demand more, you must
understand what it is that you really should be demanding.
- Aligned is a
podcast for executives of emerging middle-market companies and
executives pursuing growth or looking for new levers to
- Read more about cognitive
marketing on FitzMartin’s website.
- Order Sean’s book
- To connect with Sean Doyle, find him on LinkedIn, or learn
more about FitzMartin on the company web page.
To get in contact with Ed, connect with him on LinkedIn.